My heart is in Iraq

This site is meant for the women of different military men to support each other through deployments and everyday military life.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Special Day

One year ago today was a very special day in my life. It was the day that the man of my dreams asked me to marry him. I can't believe it has been a year already. Man, time flies. Anyway, here is how it happened........

So Danny and I had been talking about getting married for awhile and we went and picked out a ring and now it was just waiting for him to pop the question. The sad thing is that I figured it was coming because we both knew he was leaving for Iraq soon and we didn't know when we would get to see each other next. Anyway, he was back in good ol' Missouri visiting me and his family (mainly me tee hee hee). And he told me one night that he was going to take me out to dinner at my favorite restaurant. Now don't laugh when I tell you my favorite restaurant but it is Olive Garden, I LOVE THAT PLACE. It isn't exactly 5 star dining but I am not an incredibly picky girl. Anyway back to the story. I got all dressed up and cute (my profile pic is the two of us before we left) my mom insisted we get our picture taken before we left which I didn't quite understand at the time but apparently EVERYONE knew what was happening except me. So we went to Olive Garden and after dinner he said, "You know it is a beautiful night, do you want to go for a walk in the park?" I said sure, but in all actuality I was thinking it is kind of cold I am going to die. Anyway, I kind of figured something was up.......I mean I was totally surprised :). So we went to the park but before we got out of the car we kissed and I felt him reach into the side compartment of the car for something, at this point I was pretty sure what was coming. Well anyway we walked through the park and I kept seeing all these perfect spots for him to propose, but we kept walking. We walked to the end of the park and turned around. I was thinking is he playing with my mind or what???? All of a sudden he starts scratching his legs badly (earlier in the week during PT, all the guys got bitten by fire ants). He was scratching like crazy. I asked if he was ok and he said yeah these fire ant bites are getting to me can we sit down? I said sure. So we sit in a nearby bench and he keeps scratching behind his legs and turned it into a way to smoothly and discretely turn and kneel. I was so excited!!! He then gave the most beautiful speech in the world about how he wants to take care of me and grow old with me. Then he ended with Courtney ***********, will you marry me?? Of course I said yes, he put the ring on my finger (perfect fit) and we hugged in the park for about 5 minutes.
After that we walked back to the car and he called his dad to tell him we were coming over. Right when we walked in the door, his dad run up to me and kissed me on the cheek and gave me the biggest hug ever (I love his dad). His mom told us congratulations (his dad is way more enthusiastic) we opened a glass of champaigne and had a toast. We stayed over for awhile then had to make our rounds to my house to be greeted and congratulated by my family (it was so late by then, that they were all barely awake). Then we made it to my friends apartment where the whole gang assembled to congratulate us. Like I said EVERYONE knew.
All in all it truly was the greatest night of my life. I can not wait to marry him. We have about 9 months to go til we say I DO. And I am more anxious than ever.


Other quick news, I am sorry the pictures of my dress were taken down. I have no idea what happened. Yahoo photos changed their stuff. And once again I have been super busy with school and work. I really have been working a lot. I have been pretty stressed lately but I need money and school is a must so I deal. I can't wait to get married and move to Texas.
You WILL be hearing from me on Wednesday because I have another special occasion. I know what your thinking *Whatever could it be???* Well you will see.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Courtney said…

    Aww!!! How sweet. I'm in tears. Thanks for sharing Courtney.
    Love,
    Yet again another Courtney (lol)

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    That is super sweet. How romantic of him, even if you did know it was coming ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home